Feb 6, 2010

Lame or Not?

So one thing will become clear quickly, I worry. Right now I'm worried that all this bucking and dislike of moving forward is coming from a physical ailment. Rusty has seen the chiropractor, he's had his teeth checked, and he's been evaluated for any lameness issues... but I'm still worried that the behavior is linked to something physical.


Today while I was free lunging him in the round pen he seemed off in the rear end, he was really clearly off for about halfway around the pen (this was after appearing fine for 15 minutes) and then just slightly off after that. He bucked a couple of times in a way that just didn't seem normal and had his ears pinned back, which is not usual for free lunging. Of course this led to me not riding him and instead hosing his legs, analyzing his reactions to my poking and prodding and generally being worried. There was no heat anywhere on his legs, no odd swellings, and no reactions from him. I think I'm going to have a different chiropractor out, one that specializes in dressage. I'd like to hear what she thinks about his issues. I've also been thinking more and more about the potential of ulcers causing some of his resistance. And then there is the ever popular, he's just being a brat and we'll have to work through it. Or, hey it could be all of the above. Too bad he can't talk.


The farrier was at the barn today and gave his hooves a thumbs up. He had some cracking issues over the summer and I ended up having to put shoes on him for a few months. His feet are looking great right now, he's been shoeless since September and he's finally lost the racehorse hoof shape.


I'm starting my new side job cleaning stalls at the barn tomorrow. I'll only be doing Sundays. I'm really excited to do it. It helps out my bank account and has the added benefit of some physical exercise. My everyday job includes a lot of sitting behind a computer. I also miss cleaning stalls. Silly, I know. This is the only time in my life where I've been able to have full board and I don't think I could have a horse right now if that weren't the case. But, there is something nice about spending a morning in the barn and I'm looking forward to getting back to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment