Feb 13, 2010

Trotting!

Our trainer didn't show up today. No email or phone call, so I'm not really sure what happened with that. I had Rusty all warmed up and ready on time for his lesson, after waiting a half hour I decided we might as well do some light work while waiting.

Things did not start off well. He refused to walk. Great. Now we can't walk or trot. I had the whip with me, but refrained from using it and just urged with my seat, legs and voice. It usually took more than a few squeezes before he'd inch forward, but as soon as he did I released all pressures and praised him. We did this for about 20 minutes. A couple of times he began the head up, back up might start bucking routine, but instead of popping him with the whip I just gave him a negative verbal feedback and he'd scoot forward. We started to get some good walk transitions and then out of nowhere he's nice and relaxed, accepting contact, swinging forward and he voluntarily picked up a trot!!! It was fantastic!

At this point I don't really care if I didn't ask for it at that moment, I'm just thrilled that he's offering it. He willingly came back to a walk for a couple of strides and then picked up the trot again. And it was a beautiful trot, he was forward, his neck was relaxed, he was seeking contact and most importantly it was quiet and kind. We did a number of transitions and then took a break for 10 minutes or so. I was hoping the trainer was going to show up, but soon decided to give that up. I was nervous about moving back onto the circle after the break, that he might not be willing to move. He was not excited to move into a walk and we had to have a discussion about that, but after that he was right back where he had been before the break. Willing to trot both directions and relaxed.

I couldn't have asked for a better ride today! In retrospect I'm glad the trainer no showed, it allowed us to take it slow and not push him to a point where he became frustrated. I'm not sure what this breakthrough means. I have a couple of theories... 1. He hates the dressage whip and it should rarely be used. 2. The couple of rides with the back up of a person on the ground allowed him to make positive associations with trotting. 3. His myofacial release has him feeling a little more free through the body. 4. A combination of all of the above! I think this is the more likely answer. It wasn't just one event, but a variety of events that allowed us to make this little breakthrough.

No comments:

Post a Comment